The past month I've been working out like crazy at the gym and eating between 1200-1400 calories a day. Thanks to jell-o (TM) sugar-free pudding and new birth control, I am not yet on the verge of killing other people, then myself, as is normally the case when I diet.
Currently I am enjoying it more than derby (blaspheme!) because I feel in better shape and so far it's drama and meeting free. I hate meetings. I know I will start to miss derby as the season draws nearer and I will go back, but I am reluctant to give up the strength and endurance I've gained over the summer. Which leads me to this...
While searching the internet for calories in mung bean noodles (not on the back of the package I bought at the grocery store, because they are imported noodles), I came across this and thought it was an interesting concept to keep in mind as my summer of crazy hardcore workout comes to an end:
"Most of us need to develop and maintain a lifelong exercise plan that blends with our more sedentary work lifestyles. This should include a natural seasonal variance that ideally coincides with the cycles of light and dark in our area. The activity should be outdoors and energy expending during the warmer, lighter months; energy gathering exercise, such as yoga, done indoors is best in the colder, darker times. The exercise program should provide a balance that leads us to our optimum weight, good strength, and adequate endurance-and should be an integral part of our life, as it was for most of our ancestors." -Elson M. Haas 'Staying Healthy with Nutrition'
In a culture where everything is go-go-go all the time, it feels good to get permission to stop. I will be ramping up my workload, time commitments, and physical activity level during the very months when I feel like we should all be able to hibernate, and least for a month. As a trainer at my gym said, "You have to build toward something. You can't peak all the time". You have to cycle, in physical activity and in life. Build, build, build, peak, start again. It's just the way it goes.
Physical fitness wise, I think I may be peaking at the beginning of September. Then un-peaking all season, and maybe ramping up again by finals.
P.S. Mung bean noodles have 491 calories per cup. Don't eat them. They are the devil's food. Sugar free jell-o (TM) with 2 tbsp of cool-whip (TM), on the other hand, only has 75 calories.
No comments:
Post a Comment