- 1. I get paid. I get paid better than any other job I have found in this city.
- 2. I don’t do this job because I care about people. I don’t, you know, want to harm people, but I don’t really care, either. I manage to work up a good amount of hostility towards, and action against, general injustice (war, no gay marriage, no universal health care, etc. etc.), but when it comes to individuals and their problems (“I can’t pay my rent because my car was towed and I had to get it out of impound so I could go to work”), I really, really don’t care.
- Ok, I DO care on a basic human level, but I don’t get involved because if I care, this job becomes so depressing and overwhelming I can’t do it. Also, you can't fix people or their problems. Be a nice person, donate to charity, be a polite driver, and you will make a bigger difference in the world than if you make zero-interest forgivable loans available to everyone in the country who makes less than 20,000 a year.
Friday, May 18, 2007
Part 2: Why I do this job
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment